Alright producers, since it’s another Work Hard Wednesday, what’s your process for creating a track, and is it always the same? To get the conversation started, here’s my general working flow:
- Quickly and roughly create a 16 bar loop with various percussion, bass and synth sounds.
- When it’s sounding like it’s an actual idea I start sketching out the arrangement for the whole track.
- Refine, add sounds, remove sounds, tweak sounds and work away until a solid arrangement is there.
- Do a halfway point mix to sort out level issues.
- Refine more, experiment more and build fills, crashes and effects.
- When it’s all sounding good together, bounce down all the stems to audio files.
- Import them into a new project, tweak and polish each track with various things like compression, modulation, and stereo spreading.
- Mix, mix, and mix.
- Bounce out the final pre-master and send off for final mastering.It can be a long process, especially if you get stuck on any steps, but I find it to be pretty enjoyable work-flow where you can go back to previous steps at any time.
So the question is, what’s your work-flow??